Skip to content
Home » Budget Control – Message Levels

Budget Control – Message Levels

Overview

Define Message Levels setup is optional !

Define Message Levels controls which users are, or more specifically are not presented with Budget Check Warning Messages i.e. the budget check messages that are presented to users when the available remaining budget exceeds the specified threshold.

For example if a Purchase Order is being raised and costed to ‘Training Costs’ and that cost has a supporting budget control rule defined, with a budget threshold of 90% and the calculated remaining budget available is less than 10%, but greater that 0% of the total budget, then a budget warning message will be generated. Unless the user performing the budget check is a member of one or more of the user groups specified against ‘define message levels’.

Members of the user groups will continue to receive error messages when they exceed the available budget funds, based on their over-budget permissions.

Further Reading

Further information on Dynamics 365 Basic Budgeting and Budget Control is available on the Microsoft Docs and Learn Docs sites via the URLs below and should help to provide further background and context to aid survey question completion.

Budget control overview – Finance | Dynamics 365 | Microsoft Docs

Configure and use basic budgeting and budget control in Dynamics 365 Finance – Learn | Microsoft Docs

Public Sector

Background and information on the Public Sector specific elements of Basic Budgeting and Budget Control are provided via the URLs below for reference purposes.

Set up budgeting and budget control for apportionments (Public sector) | Microsoft Docs

Set up budgeting and budget control for a preliminary budget (Public sector) | Microsoft Docs